Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pasta Free Lasagna.


At this point it is a well known fact that carbohydrates that come from vegetables and fruits are inherently better than the refined carbohydrates we find in breads, pastas ect. In light of this fact, whenever I can make an easy substitution and eliminate the pasta, I do so. In this case...lasagna.

Instead of making a lasagna with layered pasta, I substitute grill slices of eggplant. The eggplant adds a nice mild flavor, minimal calories and some nutritional value to the dish.
Eggplant does have a reputation for having a bitter taste. So in the preparation of the eggplant, I first slice 1/4" slices with a mandolin and then sprinkle the slices with sea salt to help "sweat" out the bitter juices that hide in the eggplant...usually takes about 30 minutes.


Once "sweated" simply rinse the eggplant, coat lightly with some olive oil (I prefer the spray) and then grill about 3-4 minutes each side for some nice grill marks. Once this step is complete you can use the eggplant slices just as you would use lasagna noodles in your dish.

Because eggplant does not have a remarkable strong flavor, you want to make sure the sauce you use in your dish is rich in spices and taste. I prefer a good Bolognese Ragu...my favorite is by Emeri Lagasse. Not only does it have excellent tomato flavor(I use San Marzano tomatos..they are the best!), but has hints of cinnamon and nutmeg which is ideal for this time of year. You can also easily substitute ground turkey instead of beef for a healthier version.

To assemble the lasagna I place some sauce on the bottom of my dish, layer some eggplant slices and top with a ricotta-spinach mixture and some skim mozzarella cheese. You repeat the layering process 2-3 times, topping the dish with some mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

No comments: